Opportunities for students
The ARC Training Centre for the Chemical Industries offers a workplace learning approach to fast-tracking the careers of chemistry students.
We work with leading employers in Australia's chemical industries. They told us the skills and attributes that they want to see in graduates. We are developing a Masters of Industrial Research (Chemistry) course that will launch in 2019 to give graduates those employable skills and attributes.
During the 2-year course, students run a significant research project with a chemical company, usually at their site, working with their staff, giving a minimum of 12-months' experience as an industrial R&D chemist.
There is also coursework that companies have told us will enhance the employment prospects of graduates.
We offer stipends of $31,828 per annum.
With limited places available for this opportunity to become qualified as an industrial chemist, selection for the Masters of Industrial Research will be competitive. Please get in touch with us for more information.
Please get in touch using the form below
The proposed masters of industrial research course has 50 points of coursework
There will be one required subject (12.5 points) -
- Chemical Regulations and Workplace Safety (subject to approval)
Candidates will choose one or two subjects to give them industry-ready skills (12.5 points each)-
- Business Skills - Money People & Processes (BUSA90403),
- Business Tools: The Market Environment (BUSA90471)
- Science Skills - Systems Modelling and Simulation (MAST90045),
- Ethics and Responsibility in Science (SCIE90005),
- Statistics for Research Workers (MAST90007)
- Communication Skills - Communication for Research Scientists (SCIE90013),
- Science Communication (SCIE90012)
Then you make up the 200 points with advanced chemistry subjects (6.25 points each) -
- Advanced Organic Synthesis (CHEM90039)
- Biological and Medicinal Chemistry (CHEM90040)
- Exciton Science (CHEM90041)
- Automatic Chemical Analysis (CHEM90042)
- Atmospheric Chemistry (CHEM90043)
- Advanced Physical Organic Chemistry (CHEM90045)
- Magnetism in Chemistry (CHEM90046)
- Organic Electronics (CHEM90047)
- Lasers in Chemistry (CHEM90048)
- Advanced Materials & Characterisation (CHEM90049)
- Catalysis (CHEM90052)
- Interfacial Chemistry and Sonochemistry (CHEM90053)
- Radical Chemistry (CHEM90054)